This professional learning community is for anyone acting in the librarian/media specialist role in a school in Massachusetts. Librarians are often the only person in their role in the building and in some districts, they might be the only person in the entire district. This learning community provides a space where you can find support from other librarians and develop your own ideas for engaging in promising practices in the field.
This PLC is very participant-driven and specific topics addressed in the group are guided by the needs and interests of participants, with facilitation provided by Suzanne Judson-Whitehouse. Topics discussed may include:
- Challenges faced by librarians
- Examining problems of practice as a group and strategizing potential solutions
- Diverse books in the library
- Addressing the needs of students of the global majority in the library
- Meeting the needs of LGBTQ+ students in the library
- Designing a physical space to support student engagement in the library
- Advocacy for library funding and programs
- Collaboration with classroom teachers
- Resources available to Massachusetts libraries
The date for the first meeting is listed. For succeeding dates and time in the year, please contact the facilitator.