Teacher Licensure

Photo of teacher writing on board while children raise their hands

Teacher Licensure

For more information about CES Licensure Programs, we invite you to attend one of our Information Sessions or call one of our experienced staff people to answer your specific questions. Visit Contact CES Licensure Programs for more information.

To learn more about the different types of teaching licenses in Massachusetts, go to Teacher Licensure in Massachusetts.

Teacher Initial Licenses

To become an educator or school administrator in Massachusetts, you must have a Bachelor's Degree and complete a licensure program approved by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE).

The CES Licensure Program requires completing a set of graduate-level courses and a practicum, which offers a rigorous supervised experience in your field as well as an opportunity to demonstrate the mastery of Professional Standards required by DESE. Throughout the program, students have the opportunity to conduct field-based experiences in a variety of educational settings and to observe and reflect on the practices of other education professionals.

Individuals can take up to two of our Licensure courses before enrolling in our program. Both courses will be credited to your program if taken within 5 years of enrollment.

If you are starting a new career as a teacher, get your teaching career off to a great start by enrolling in the CES Licensure Program. Our convenient locations and hybrid-online format can help you make the transition to licensed teaching.

Teacher Additional Licenses

For educators who have already earned an initial teaching license, CES offers a clear path to an Additional License. Our hybrid-online program provides convenient access to the courses you need in order to prepare for an Additional License.

Enrolling in one of our Additional License pathways might be the right course for you, if you are seeking to:

  • enhance your knowledge and teaching strategies to work with diverse populations
  • make yourself a more valuable professional resource
  • help your school or district built capacity in needed areas

We offer courses for the following Additional License pathways:

Thinking about becoming a Reading Specialist? Learn more about adding a Reading Specialist License.

Teaching on a waiver?

Our knowledgeable advisors will help design a customized plan that will give you what you need to earn the Moderate Disabilities Initial License or Additional License. Our courses provide evidence of continuous progress in alignment with Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education guidance. Each full graduate-level course will provide 3 points toward the 6 points you must earn in the twelve months prior to the waiver request. If you are taking a course to show evidence of continuous progress, you must register for graduate credit at the first face-to-face course session.

All CES Licensure courses can be taken for Graduate Credit through Fitchburg State University. You can apply those courses toward a Master's Degree or CAGS, or use them to move up the pay scale in your district. For more information, visit our Graduate Credit page. 

For more information, contact: 
Student Affairs, Licensure Programs
413.586.4900 x5937