Joan E. Schuman Scholarship Fund
Their dreams should be unlimited.
“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” –Eleanor Roosevelt
The Schuman Scholarship Fund was established to provide one or more one-time scholarships each year to special education students (with an IEP) graduating from schools in Franklin or Hampshire County, and moving on to a higher education institution. The Schuman Fund offers a unique opportunity to nourish their dreams so that they may bloom and grow. Scholarships are one-time award of $500 toward educational costs or tuition at a 2- or 4-year higher education institution, vocational or technical training program, or specialized program for students with disabilities.
About Joan E. Schuman
Dr. Joan Schuman led the Collaborative for Educational Services as Executive Director for over twenty successful years. Creating and nurturing programs to provide the highest quality education for underserved students has been an integral part of her career. In all of that work, she has been focused on providing the right support to learners so that every student can find success.
Applications are Open for 2023!
Applications for this year’s scholarship awards are due by May 19, 2023.
All applications will be reviewed by the Scholarship Committee. Finalists will be selected and notified by early June. The scholarship award will be sent directly to the student’s higher education institution upon confirmation of enrollment.
You may apply using our online form below, or download a PDF application here. If you are applying using a paper form, the application must be postmarked by the May 19th deadline.
Applications can be mailed to:
Sherry Smith, Director, Special Education | Attention: Joan Schuman Scholarship Application | HEC Academy | 228 Pleasant Street | Northampton, MA 01060.
Donate to the Scholarship Fund!
Please consider donating to the Scholarship Fund to support the future postsecondary endeavors of students in Hampshire and Franklin counties. You will be supporting their dreams!
The Collaborative for Educational Services is a 501(c)(3) tax exempt educational services agency, and tax deductible donations can be made online by credit card, using the button below.
Past Scholarship Recipients Include
- Henriz Henry, attended HEC Academy in Northampton.
- Anahbel Anderholm, attended Franklin County Technical School.
- Joseph Ackerman attended HEC Academy, and graduated from Northampton High School.
- Patrick Monaghan graduated from Franklin County Technical High School.
- Avery Riddle attended HEC Academy and graduated.
- Tessa Santor attended HEC Academy and graduated.
- Kevin Ryder attended HEC Academy, and graduated.
- Dakota Ford attended HEC Academy, CES’s alternative high school in Northampton, and graduated from Greenfield High School.
- Kianna Pickney-Brown graduated from Granby Public High School.
- Marquie Ann Gardner graduated from Smith Vocational High School in Northampton.