Teacher of Biology (8-12) Initial License
Prepares candidates for:
- Teacher of Biology (8-12) Initial License
Candidates may come from either inside or outside the field of public education.
- A Bachelors Degree
Enrollees of the Teacher of Biology Program will:
- Meet MTEL and application requirements, including prerequisites
- Complete required courses: Curriculum and Assessment for Teachers; Working with the Range of Students in Mathematics; Learning Disabilities and Instructional Techniques; Positive Behavior Supports; Academic Language; Introduction to Educational Technology; and Reflective Practicum Seminar. For more information about these courses, visit our Course Catalog.
- SEI Endorsement: In addition to the courses listed above, all enrollees are required to obtain the SEI Endorsement, either with CES or through their district. The CES SEI Endorsement course may be taken at any point in the program.
- Complete the Practicum
Passing scores on the Communication and Literacy MTELs are required with application. Endorsement in the Licensure Program is contingent upon successful completion of all the MTELs.
- Communication and Literacy Skills Test
- Biology Test (8-12)
A 300-hour Supervised Practicum in the role of the license sought is required. Click here to learn more about the Practicum.
All courses may be taken for graduate credit. For those interested in obtaining a graduate degree, graduate credits may be applied toward a M.Ed. – Curriculum & Teaching or a Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies (CAGS), through CES’ partnership with Fitchburg State University. Graduate credit registration forms are available at the first session of each course. For more information about the Graduate Options available, click here. For graduate program procedures and information, email email@example.com.