Graduate Credit

Through our partnership with Fitchburg State University (FSU), CES Licensure students can earn a Master’s of Education in Curriculum and Teaching from FSU.



Master’s Degree

The Master’s of Education in Curriculum and Teaching from FSU option may appeal to students who:

  • want to earn an Initial License and a Master’s Degree simultaneously
  • already have an Initial License and are pursuing a Master’s Degree alone

The Master’s Degree option requires that students earn eighteen additional graduate credits (beyond the eighteen credits earned in the CES Licensure Program). Courses for the Master’s option are outlined in a Plan of Study. The courses in the Plan of Study are specific to the area of licensure sought. A typical Plan of Study for the M.Ed. includes:

  • 18 credits taken through CES for the license
  • 18 credits taken through CES to fulfull the requirements for the Master’s Degree

All courses required for the FSU Master’s Degree are available directly through the CES Licensure Program and are offered in our convenient hybrid-online format.

The additional courses required for the Master’s are listed on each Initial License page. Click here to locate the relevant Initial License Program page.

Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study (CAGS)

    A Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study (CAGS) from FSU is an option for those who already have a Master’s Degree.

    What does a typical CAGS Plan of Study look like?

    • 6 credits taken online directly from FSU – courses intended to help CAGS students use future courses in preparation for the thesis
    • 12 credits taken through CES – 12 of the 18 credits required for the license
    • 12 additional credits taken through CES – in an additional field of concentration other than the licensure field
    • 6 credits associated with the thesis, which is accomplished with the support of an FSU advisor

    How do I earn a CAGS?

    In order to earn a CAGS, you must apply to FSU by completing their Graduate Program application. You will then pay an additional fee for graduate credit at the first face-to-face session of each course that you take through CES in order to apply those credits to a CAGS through FSU.

    Apply Early

    Students wishing to earn an FSU M.Ed. or CAGS through CES must submit a separate application to FSU. This will ensure that graduate credit earned through courses taken with CES are correctly applied toward the FSU Master’s or CAGS program. You are strongly encouraged to submit your application as early as possible (no later than after taking one course with CES).

    Questions about Graduate Credit and FSU Programs

    Click below to find our Graduate Credit FAQ as well as a list of FSU staff that can answer your questions about Fitchburg State University programs.

    Translate »