English as a Second Language (ESL) - Initial
English as a Second Language (ESL) Initial Licenses (PreK-6) (5-12)
Prepares candidates for:
- Teacher of English as a Second Language (PreK-6) Initial License
- Teacher of English as a Second Language (5-12) Initial License
Candidates may come from either inside or outside the field of public education.
Important: Interested candidates for licensure through TESEL should not register for courses on this website. Instead, please register by contacting Lynn D'Agostino, TESEL Grant Coordinator, directly (not their district liaison), at email@example.com.
- A Bachelors Degree
- Evidence of knowledge or study of a language other than English
- Meet MTEL and application requirements, including prerequisites
- Complete 6 required courses
- Complete the Practicum
Passing scores on the Communication and Literacy MTELs are required with application. Endorsement in the Licensure Program is contingent upon successful completion of all the MTELs.
- Communication and Literacy Skills Test
- English Learners Language Test (taken upon completion of all or part of the program)
A 300-hour Supervised Practicum in the role of the license sought is required. Click here to learn more about the Practicum.
All courses may be taken for graduate credit. For those interested in obtaining a graduate degree, graduate credits may be applied toward a M.Ed. - Curriculum & Teaching or a Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies (CAGS), through the Collaborative's partnership with Fitchburg State University. Graduate credit registration forms are available at the first session of each course. For more information about the Graduate Options available, click here. For graduate program procedures and information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following courses are required for this program. Courses at each level must be completed before proceeding to the next level.
PreK - 6 Only: