Principal/Assistant Principal (PreK-6, 5-8, 9-12), and Supervisor/Director
Our program prepares candidates for Initial Licensure as Principal or Assistant Principal at the PreK-6, 5-8, or 9-12 level, or as a Supervisor-Director.
The new program has been approved under ESE's new, rigorous standards, and is better than ever!
We offer the hallmarks of CES licensure programs that you've relied on since 2003:
- a blended learning approach
- An affordable program - ask about opportunities to pursue graduate program credit
- Exceptional instructors who are practicing professionals, and offer the chance to build your professional connections
- Courses built on authentic tasks and real-world strategies that prepare you for the job
The new program focuses on increased advisory support, and important new content to address educational technology and educational data - both critical skills for 21st century leaders. Most importantly, the program design affords robust opportunities for direct involvement with practicing administrators who will be your instructors, mentors, and project partners.
Complete our online form to request a call from an advisor to answer your questions.
To enroll in CES’ ESE-approved educator preparation program, candidates for licensure as Principal/Assistant Principal (PreK-6, 5-8, 9-12), or Supervisor/Director must present evidence that meets these requirements:
- Successful completion of the Communication & Literacy MTEL
- Completion of at least three full years of employment in an executive management/leadership role or in a supervisory, teaching, or administrative role in a public school, private school, higher education, or other educational setting accepted by the Department, in addition to all Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education administrative licensure requirements (exceptions are granted on a case by case basis)
For the Supervisor/Director license:
A Master’s Degree in the arts or sciences in one of the core academic subjects the candidate will supervise or at least 18 credits of advanced graduate studies in one of the core academic subjects (English Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, History, Reading, Foreign Language, Arts) the candidate will supervise. Role and level for this administrator license will depend on the candidate's existing license.
- Completion of 10 required courses
- Completion of the Educational Leadership and Management Supervised Practicum
- Demonstration of required competencies in the Performance Assessment for Leaders (P.A.L.) Tasks
- Communication and Literacy Skills Test
A 500-hour Supervised Practicum in the role of the license sought is required. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about the Practicum.
All courses may be taken for graduate credit.
The following courses are required for this program. Courses at each level must be completed before proceeding to the next level.
All enrollees are required to obtain the SEI Endorsement for Building Level Administrators. Click here for more information about SEI Endorsement. The CES SEI Endorsement for Building Level Administrators course may be taken at any point in the program.